This 12 Days of Start Up series aims to provide you with all the information you need to get on the right path to self-employment. Starting a business can be like climbing a mountain, it may look daunting from the bottom but focus on one step at a time and you’ll soon be at the top. Past days can be found here.
Today’s installment begins with a hard truth; you need to be better than each of your competitors if you want to survive.
The good news is you are a small business so you’re already better than big brands in dozens of ways. But it isn’t all about who is cheaper, all too often business owners are at their wits ends because a rival is undercutting them on price and they can’t keep up.
Prices are not the be all and end all. There are many ways you can ensure your business is better than your competitors here are a few of my personal favourites;
• Better quality. A great one to help fight off the cost wars, because a higher price is justified.
• Power of packaging, something as superficial as appearance can dramatically alter a customer’s perception of worth so deliver your product with love.
• Customer service. A big one this is so easy and it’s free! Smile, be polite, build relationships with your customers and respond to complaints effectively and calmly.
• Update your image. Look at your business cards, stationary, website, branded packaging and so on. Does your image reflect your business? Pulse Creative Marketing offer free marketing surgeries and a free marketing review.
• Look to your future, businesses that plan for growth are more successful than those that are happy to stay still. Your business plan will help ensure you are on the right track for your goals to be met.
Read more on business plans tomorrow.